About Without Walls
We are a network of festivals and organisations committed to excellence in outdoor arts in England through the creation and touring of innovative new work
Without Walls is a network of over 35 organisations that brings the best in outdoor arts to people in towns and cities across England. Since its formation in 2007, Without Walls has developed and toured over 200 new shows both in the UK and internationally across 22 countries.
- We commission outdoor shows of the highest quality that push the boundaries of what outdoor arts can be. Each year, we present a programme of new work that premieres at our Artistic Directorate festivals. These shows go on to tour across our wider network.
- We support experienced artists that have been working within the outdoor arts sector for many years, as well artists creating outdoor work for the first time.
- We also provide financial support for the research and development of new work, as well as professional and creative development opportunities.
- The Without Walls programme tours across the network nationally and internationally, contributing to England’s position as a global leader in outdoor arts.
- Many of our partners work in areas of low arts engagement and pioneer new forms of creative engagement with and for their communities. From the East End of London, to the countryside of rural Cheshire – Without Walls’ work finds audiences far and wide.
Without Walls is funded by Arts Council England as a National Portfolio Organisation.
Without Walls Network Partners
Some of the UK’s most regarded outdoor arts and performance specialists. The Artistic Directorate annually invests commissioning funds into a programme of new outdoor shows that go on and tour across England and internationally.
- 101 Creation Space
Head of Outdoor Arts: Simon Chatterton
- Brighton Festival
Head of Artistic Planning: Tanya Peters
- Certain Blacks
Artistic Director: Clive Lyttle
- Greenwich + Docklands International Festival
Artistic Director: Bradley Hemmings MBE
- Hat Fair
Artistic Director: Andrew Loretto
- Just So Festival
Directors: Rowan Cannon & Sarah Bird
- Leeds 2023
- Norfolk & Norwich Festival
Head of Production & Programme: Mark Denbigh
- Stockton International Riverside Festival
Artistic Director: Juliet Hardy
- Timber Festival
Directors: Rowan Cannon & Sarah Bird
Find out more about the Artistic Directorate
A network of festivals of all shapes and sizes across England in areas without regular arts activity. Without Walls works with these partners to create an appetite for outdoor arts across the country.
- Arts by the Sea
- Barnsley Town Centre
- Basingstoke Festival
- Birmingham Hippodrome
- Creative Basildon
- Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA)
- Festival of Thrift, Redcar
- First Art, Mansfield
- Hampshire Cultural Trust
- Lancashire Encounter, Preston
- Now Northwich, Cheshire Dance
- Oldham Council
- Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council
- Rochdale Borough Council
- The Culture House, Grimsby
- Theatre Orchard, Somerset
- Vision Redbridge Culture and Leisure
- Flux Rotherham
Find out more about the Touring Network Partnership
The Creative Development Network acts as a ‘festival incubator’ by supporting emerging festivals, arts organisations and independent producers taking the first steps into presenting outdoor arts events. The network offers opportunities for peer learning, masterclasses, training, mentorship, networking and development support.
2023 partners include:
- Company Chameleon
- Creative Playground CPP
- Culture Warrington in partnership with Warrington Borough Council
- Dartington Trust
- Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Feast Fest
- Marketplace CPP
- Mira Kaushik, Independent Producer
Find out more about the Creative Development Network